There’s plenty of books about what you are supposed to do while pregnant. Even so, it seems there is so much information that is withheld from them. Whether it’s your first pregnancy or your sixth, each one is different. So let’s talk about it; this is what pregnancy is really like.
These are the top ten things no one tells you about pregnancy.
- Pregnant women: your smelling powers will become so heightened that you will be able to smell a cookie baking 30 miles away. Unfortunately, no one ever tells you that you will also be able to smell food burning in a wok in China.
- Mom: You will have all sorts of unexpected medical issues, and some may or may not go away after the pregnancy. Your blood circulation will be affected, so it won’t be a good idea to just lay there, which is just about all you can do, for too long. Your legs might develop varicose veins, and those don’t look pretty. There are processes like endovenous laser ablation that can reverse this condition. Hopefully you find a good place to get this done before the next big event comes up after the pregnancy!
- Mama: your morning sickness can actually be all day sickness if you’re not careful. Watch what you eat, and avoid what doesn’t seem to be agreeing with you.
If varicose veins run in your family, or if you already have them, wear Graduated Compression Stockings. Compression stockings act like an added layer of muscle, aiding the performance of the “second heart” and venous circulation. They are tight at the ankle and looser as they go up, which helps prevent swelling and vein formation. These can be purchased at medical supply stores.
4. Spider and small varicose veins can be treated with sclerotherapy, a painless injection treatment. During treatment, a mild chemical solution is injected into the vein that is causing the issue. The sclerosing agent irritates the walls of the vessel, causing it to collapse. The body then reabsorbs the vein and blood is re-routed to a healthy vein, restoring proper venous circulation in the area. For large varicose veins, surgery is not performed anymore. We used in-office Endovenous Laser Abliation (EVLA), in which a laser fiber is used to close the main vein from the inside under local anesthesia and no down-time.
Have you noticed an increase in varicose veins when you walk consistently? See more about the Center for Vascular Medicine on this site, as explained by Center for Vascular Medicine.
READ ALSO: What Giving Birth Feels Like
- Mami: the same outrageous hormonal highs and lows that make you picture yourself smacking a random passerby for looking at your baby bump will be the very same that make you cry when a fly lands on your shoulder.
- Ma; your pregnancy glow is actually increased blood flow causing you to sweat quite a bit. Also, the increased hormones that cause the glow brings with it increased susceptibility to acne. Better start looking at creams that can help you with that ahead of time.
READ ALSO: Stages of Second Baby Syndrome
There are more, many more, but I feel I have scared the first time mothers sufficiently for now. Happy procreating and remember, there are many things you can do to prepare for what’s coming. Your struggling future self will thank you.