You know how they say if you love something put a ring on it? Well, if you love a sandwich you should make a recipe and enter it into the Buddig taste Challenge.
Have you ever eaten something that from the first moment you put it into your mouth, you knew it would be an instant favorite? That is how I feel about the Monte Cristo sandwich. Have you ever had one? They are delicious.
I know it’s a weird combination to deep-fry a ham and turkey sandwich and then dip it in jam but it works and it better than works; it’s an amazing burst of warm, gooey, comforting goodness. It’s like a hug from your mother. In fact, the recipe that I came up with reminds me of my mother’s famous grilled cheese.
I don’t know how she does it or what makes it so good but it tastes better than any other grilled cheese I’ve ever had, ever. I think it has something with the love that is used when she makes it. At least that is what I am telling myself.
My favorite sandwich is the Monte Cristo. It was one of those sandwiches that I never would have thought to eat. In fact, until I saw it on a menu, I had never even heard of it.
Yes, deep-fried everything is awesome but there is something special about this sandwich and I loved it so much that I put my own spin on it and made it even better, I think. I kicked up the sweet and amplified the savory with robust cheeses and hearty Buddig meats.
This is the recipe for 1 sandwich but I quarter it and split with between my girls. It is definitely a 2-person sandwich.
3 slices of sturdy white bread
3 slices of Buddig Smoked Ham
3 slices of Buddig Oven Roasted Turkey Breasts
1 Slice of thick sliced sharp cheddar cheese
1 slice of thick sliced Swiss cheese
1-cup whole milk
½ teaspoon of salt
¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
1 teaspoon of brown sugar
1 ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
Raspberry Preserves, strawberry or red currant jam.
Instructions for prepping the Sandwich:
- Take one piece of bread, place turkey slices and Swiss cheese.
- Then add another piece of bread.
- Add ham and cheddar cheese.
- Add last piece of bread.
- Wrap tightly in saran wrap and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Instructions to make batter:
- Beat egg in a bowl.
- Add milk and blend.
- Add salt, brown sugar, flour, nutmeg and baking powder.
- Blend all ingredients until completely smooth.
Instructions to complete Monte Cristo:
- Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer or skillet until 180 degrees Celsius.
- Gently remove sandwich from saran wrap.
- Gingerly dip sandwich into the batter mixture being careful to cover all the sides and surface area of the sandwich but not over soaking it.
- Gently battered sandwich into hot oil and fry until golden brown.
- Remove from hot oil and place on a rack to cool for a couple minutes.
- Quarter the sandwich and then dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve with Raspberry preserves, Strawberry or red currant jam for dipping.
I think this sandwich is amazing and I hope you will give it a try and let me know what you think. I’m one of 8 bloggers entered in the Buddig Taste Challenge, I would love it if you liked the recipe if you would vote for me. Simply go here click through until you see Deborah Cruz and give me a vote, if you want. I’d appreciate it.
You can vote once per day through May 31st. The grand prize is a $1,000 Gift Card and a meet & greet with the Buddig Family. Every 25th voter will receive a Buddig $1.00 off coupon.
oh YUM!! I’ll be keeping this recipe on hand for future dinners!!
That looks amazing. And I don’t even eat ham!! You’ve got my vote – good luck!!
[…] READ ALSO: The Ultimate Monte Cristo Recipe […]