School is back in session. Thank goodness. Nope, that’s not just me sighing with relief my girls missed their friends and were bored. They like a good routine. Sure they like a week off here and there but they really missed seeing their friends. Which made me think, why not celebrate back-to-school with my girls, a few of their friends and some homemade ice cream.
I told the girls my idea and we got straight to planning our menu of homemade vanilla ice cream and salted caramel mocha whipped cream. I love adding flavored creamers to drinks other than just my coffee. There are few things 7 and 9-year-old girls love more than the marriage of smooth, creamy homemade ice cream and fresh made whipped cream, adding salted caramel and mocha was just the cherry on top..oh yeah, there has to be one of those too!
Here is the simple recipe I used for homemade vanilla ice cream.
3/4 cup sugar
· 2 tablespoons cornstarch
· 1/8 teaspoon salt
· 1 1/2 cups Vitamin D whole milk
· 2/3 cup Fat Free French Vanilla
· 1 cup heavy whipping cream
· 1 egg yolk
· 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1. Whisk together sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk, International Delight Fat Free French Vanilla creamer and heavy whipping cream. Cook over medium heat and stir constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
2. Whisk egg yolk until slightly thickened. Gradually whisk about 1 cup hot cream mixture into whisked yolk. Add yolk mixture to remaining cream mixture, whisking constantly. Whisk in vanilla extract. Cool for 1 hour and stir occasionally.
3. Place saran wrap directly on cream mixture, and chill 12 to 24 hours.
4. Pour mixture into freezer container of a 1 1/2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
1 ½ cup of heavy whipping cream
½ cup of International Delight Salted Caramel Mocha creamer (What? You thought I only used creamer for coffee and cocktails?)
¼ -1/2 cup of sugar (add sugar till your desired stiffness)
Put heavy whipping cream and International Delight Salted Caramel Mocha creamer into a chilled mixing bowl.
Slowly add sugar as you blend with hand mixer on med. As whipped topping begins to stiffen, turn mixer up to high speed.
Garnish with 2 salted pretzel rods and a Maraschino cherry or two. Serve with love and enjoy all the giggles and squeals of back-to-school happy. Yes, I can’t believe it either but my girls seem to simply love being back in school. I guess my nerd gene didn’t skip a generation after all.
By the way, we all tried this recipe out yesterday and we concur that it is equally delicious to both the adult and child’s palate. To be honest, I could eat the salted caramel mocha whipped cream all on it’s own….all.day.long!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of International Delight.