Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Are you a fan of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast musical? Who isn’t, right? The hairy guy with the heart of gold, goes toe-to-toe with the brute and gets the girl, talk about an underdog tale. It’s one of our family’s absolute favorite Disney movies and now, it’s coming to the Chicago Shakespeare Theater, July 14- August 20, 2023.
Disclosure: I was provided with tickets to see Beauty and the Beast Musical by The Chicago Shakespeare Theater. However, all opinions are mine and were NOT influenced by the Chicago Shakespeare Theater.
It’s more than just a fun musical about a beast who gets the girl, its a story of why the substance of a person is more important than what we see on any superficial level.
Beauty and the Beast musical is a must see if you get the chance and here are several reasons why its regarded as a great musical:
1. Captivating Storytelling: The musical tells a timeless tale of love, acceptance, and inner beauty. It engages the audience through its enchanting narrative, memorable characters, and the transformation of the Beast.
2. Memorable Music: “Beauty and the Beast” features an iconic score composed by Alan Menken, with lyrics by Howard Ashman and Tim Rice. The music, including songs like “Belle,” “Be Our Guest,” and the titular “Beauty and the Beast,” is widely celebrated for its catchiness, emotional depth, and memorable melodies.
3. Broadway Quality Production: The musical adaptation of “Beauty and the Beast” debuted on Broadway in 1994 and set new standards for elaborate sets, costumes, and stage effects. The visual spectacle, along with the captivating choreography and elaborate production design, contribute to its greatness as a theatrical experience.
4. Strong Characters: The musical showcases a cast of well-developed characters who evolve throughout the story. From the independent and bookish Belle to the conflicted and ultimately compassionate Beast, the characters bring depth and relatability to the narrative.
5. Emotional Depth: Beyond its fairy tale charm, “Beauty and the Beast” explores themes of self-discovery, empathy, and the importance of looking beyond external appearances. The musical offers emotional resonance and meaningful messages that resonate with audiences of all ages.
6. Universal Themes: The story’s themes of love, acceptance, and personal growth are universal, making it relatable and appealing to diverse audiences. Its messages about inner beauty and finding love in unexpected places have a timeless quality that continues to resonate with generations.
7. Cultural Impact: “Beauty and the Beast” is not only a successful musical but also a cultural phenomenon. The 1991 animated film became the first animated feature to receive a Best Picture nomination at the Academy Awards. The musical adaptation and subsequent live-action film solidified its status as a beloved and influential work of art.
This summer, share the wonder and delight of live theater with your family at Disney’s Beauty and the Beast. Dazzling production numbers, including the beloved title song, “Be Our Guest,” and “Human Again” will fill the Courtyard Theater, making your heart soar. The beloved fairytale recounts the story of Belle, a young woman in a provincial town, and the Beast, who is really a prince trapped under the spell of an enchantress. If the Beast can learn to love and be loved, the curse will end, and he will be transformed into his former self. But time is running out. If those lessons aren’t learned soon, the Beast and his household will be doomed for all eternity.
Recommended for ages 5 and up, it’s perfect for a birthday party or fun outing for neighborhood friends, clubs, or play groups. Tickets start at $26 & parties of 10+ save up to 30%
Through the generosity of The Chicago Shakespeare Theater, I am giving away a family 4-pack of tickets to the performance of your choice in July. Enter below. Good luck!!a Rafflecopter giveaway